Selected Recent Books and Articles
- Rogoff, B., Pérez González, C., Chavajay Quiacaín, C., & Chavajay Quiacaín, J. (2011). Developing destinies: A Mayan midwife and town. NY: Oxford University Press.
- Rogoff, B. (2003). The
cultural nature of human development. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Rogoff, B., Goodman Turkanis, C., & Bartlett, L. (2001). Learning
together: Children and adults in a school community. New York: Oxford
- Rogoff, B., Correa-Chavez, M., & Silva, K. G. (2011). Cultural variation in children's attention and learning. In M.A. Gernsbaber, R. W. Pew, L. M. Hough & J. R. Pomerantz (Eds.), Psychology and the real world: Essays illustrating fundamental contributions to society (pp. 154-163). New York, NY: Worth Publishers.
- Rogoff, B., Moore, L., Najafi, B., Dexter, A., Correa-Chávez, M., & Solís, J. (2007). Children’s development of cultural repertoires through participation in everyday routines and practices. In J. E. Grusec & P. D. Hastings (Eds.), Handbook of socialization. (pp. 490-515). NY: Guilford.
- Rogoff, B., Paradise, R., Mejía Arauz, R., Correa-Chávez, M., & Angelillo, C. (2003). Firsthand learning through intent participation. Annual Review of Psychology, 54, 175-203.
- Rogoff, B. (1998). Cognition as a collaborative process. In D. Kuhn &
R.S. Siegler (Eds.), Cognition, perception and language [Vol. 2, Handbook
of Child Psychology (5th ed.), W. Damon (Ed.)] pp. 679-744. New York:
- López, A., Correa-Chávez, M., Rogoff, B., & Gutiérrez, K. (2010). Attention to instruction directed to another by US Mexican-heritage children of varying cultural backgrounds. Developmental Psychology, 46(3), 593-601.
- Rogoff, B., Morelli, G. A., & Chavajay, P. (2010). Children’s Integration in Communities and Segregation From People of Differing Ages. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 5(4), 431-440. doi: 10.1177/1745691610375558.
- Silva, K. G., Correa-Chávez, M., & Rogoff, B. (2010). Mexican-heritage children's attention and learning from interactions directed to others. Child Development, 81(3), 898-912.
- Correa-Chávez, M., & Rogoff, B. (2009). Children’s attention to interactions directed to others: Guatemalan Mayan and European American patterns. Developmental Psychology, 45(3), 630-641. Paradise, R., & Rogoff, B. (2009). Side by side: Learning by observing and pitching in. Ethos, 37(1), 102-138.Baker-Sennett, J., Matusov, E.L., & Rogoff, B. (2008). Children’s planning of classroom plays with adult or child direction. Social Development, 17, 998-1018.
- Angelillo, C., Rogoff, B., & Chavajay, P. (2007). Examining shared endeavors by abstracting video coding schemes with fidelity to cases. In R. Goldman, R. Pea, B. Barron, & S. J. Derry (Eds.), Video research in the learning sciences. (pp. 189-206). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Mejía Arauz, R., Rogoff, B. Dexter, A., & Najafi, B. (2007). Cultural variation in children's social organization. Child Development, 78, 1001-1014.
- Correa-Chávez, M., & Rogoff, B. (2005). Cultural research has transformed our ideas of
cognitive development. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 29 (Suppl. 3), 7-10.
- Correa-Chávez, M., Rogoff, B., & Mejía Arauz, R. (2005). Cultural patterns in attending to
two events at once. Child Development, 76, 664-678.
- Mejía Arauz, R., Rogoff, B., & Paradise, R. (2005). Cultural variation in children's observation during a demonstration. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 29, 282-291.
- Rogoff, B., Correa-Chávez, M., & Navichoc Cotuc, M. (2005). A cultural/historical view
of schooling in human development. In D. Pillemer & S.H. White (Eds.), Developmental psychology
and social change (pp. 225-263). NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Gutierrez, K., & Rogoff, B. (2003). Cultural ways of learning: Individual traits or repertoires
of practice. Educational Researcher, 32, 19-25.
- Morelli, G., Rogoff, B., & Angelillo, C. (2003). Cultural variation
in children's access to work or involvement in specialized child-focused activities. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 27, 264-274.
- Mosier, C., & Rogoff, B. (2003). Privileged treatment of toddlers: Cultural aspects of individual
choice and responsibility. Developmental Psychology, 39, 1047-1060.
- Chavajay, P., & Rogoff, B. (2002). Schooling and traditional collaborative
social organization of problem solving by Mayan mothers and children. Developmental
Psychology, 38, 55-66.
- Matusov, E.L., Bell, N., & Rogoff, B. (2002). Schooling as cultural
process: Working together and guidance by children from schools differing
in collaborative practices. In R.V. Kail & H.W. Reese (Eds.), Advances
in Child Development and Behavior (vol. 29). Academic Press.
- Matusov, E., & Rogoff, B. (2002). Newcomers and oldtimers: Educational
philosophies-in-action of parent volunteers in a community of learners school. Anthropology & Education Quarterly, 33, 415-440.
- Rogoff, B., & Angelillo, C. (2002). Investigating the coordinated functioning
of multifaceted cultural practices in human development. Human Development, 45, 211-225.
- Rogoff, B., Topping, K., Baker-Sennett, J., & Lacasa, P. (2002). Mutual
contributions of individuals, partners, and institutions: Planning to remember
in Girl Scout cookie sales. Social Development, 11, 266-289.
- Mistry, J., Rogoff, B., & Herman, H. (2001). What is the meaning of meaningful purpose in children’s remembering? Istomina revisited. Mind, Culture, and Activity, 8, 28-41.
- Chavajay, P., & Rogoff, B. (1999). Cultural variation in management
of attention by children and their caregivers. Developmental Psychology, 35, 1079-1090.
- Rogoff, B. (1996). Developmental transitions in children’s participation in sociocultural activities. In A. Sameroff & M. Haith (Eds.), The five to seven year shift: The age of reason and responsibility (pp. 273-294). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Rogoff, B. (1995). Observing sociocultural activity on three planes: Participatory appropriation, guided participation, and apprenticeship. In J.V. Wertsch, P. del Rio, & A. Alvarez (Eds.), Sociocultural studies of mind (pp. 139-164). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. Reprinted (2008) in K. Hall & P. Murphy (Eds.), Pedagogy and practice: Culture and identities. London: Sage.
- Rogoff, B., Baker-Sennett, J., Lacasa, P., & Goldsmith, D.(1995). Development through participation in sociocultural activity. In J. Goodnow, P. Miller, & F. Kessel (Eds.), Cultural practices as contexts for development (pp. 45-65). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Baker-Sennett, J., Matusov, E., & Rogoff, B. (1992). Sociocultural processes of creative planning in children's playcrafting. In P. Light & G. Butterworth (Eds.), Context and cognition: Ways of learning and knowing (pp. 93-114). New York: Harvester-Wheatsheaf.
- Morelli, G.A., Rogoff, B., Oppenheim, D., & Goldsmith, D. (1992). Cultural variation in infants' sleeping arrangements: Questions of independence. Developmental Psychology, 28, 604-613.
- Rogoff, B., Mosier, C., Mistry, J., & Göncü, A. (1989). Toddlers' guided participation in cultural activity. Cultural Dynamics, 2, 209-237. Revision (1993). Toddlers' guided participation with their caregivers in cultural activity. In E. Forman, N. Minick, & A. Stone (Eds.), Contexts for learning: Sociocultural dynamics in children's development. New York: Oxford University Press.
Home | Research | Books | Other Publications | Intent Community Participation (ICP) | Bio
Learning Center in San Pedro | Psychology Department | UCSC