Foundry BigIron RX Series Configuration Guide
11-6 © 2006 Foundry Networks, Inc. April 2006
VLAN Byte Accounting
To enable your BigIron RX to perform accounting of the number of bytes received by all the member ports of a
VLAN. This includes the preamble and the minimum inter-frame gap in Ethernet. The byte counts can then be
viewed using the show vlan command. VLAN byte accounting is disabled by default.
Considerations When Configuring VLAN Byte Accounting
• VLAN byte accounting cannot be enabled for the default or control VLANs.
• The number of VLANs on which byte accounting can be enabled system-wide is restricted by the number of
VLANs with byte accounting enabled on a given packet processor and the number of rate limiting policies
enabled on the same packet processor ports. See Table 11.1 for details.
• On a given packet processor, the total number of VLANs with byte accounting enabled and the number of
ACL-based and VLAN-based rate limiting policies is dependent on the interface module. See Table 11.1 for
• If a port's VLAN has byte accounting enabled, you cannot enable rate limiting on that port. Similarly, if a port
has rate limiting enabled, you cannot enable VLAN byte accounting on that port's VLAN.
• Clearing the rate limiting counters using clear rate-limit counters will also clear VLAN byte-accounting
counters. It is recommended that when using rate limiting along with VLAN byte accounting, use individual
port rate limiting counters.
Configuring VLAN Byte Accounting
To enable VLAN accounting on a specified VLAN, use the following commands:
BigIron RX(config)# vlan 10
BigIron RX(config-vlan-10)# byte-accounting
Syntax: [no] byte-accounting
Displaying VLAN Byte Accounting Information
To display VLAN accounting information for all VLANs configured on a router, use the show vlan command as
BigIron RX# show vlan
Configured PORT-VLAN entries: 2
Maximum PORT-VLAN entries: 512
Default PORT-VLAN id: 1
PORT-VLAN 1, Name DEFAULT-VLAN, Priority Level0
L2 protocols : NONE
Untagged Ports : ethe 1/1 to 1/40 ethe 2/1 to 2/4
PORT-VLAN 10, Name [None], Priority Level0
L2 protocols : NONE
Tagged Ports : ethe 1/2 to 1/5
Bytes received : 18527