INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY services
Working Title: Unix Systems Engineer/Administrator
Classification: P/A III
Grade (if applicable): PSS L
Supervisor: John Hammond, Systems Manager, P/A IV—Supv.
Positions Supervised: None
Type of Direction or
Supervision Received: General Supervision
Unit Description: While the campus computing environment utilizes many microcomputers and local area networks, the central facility maintains and operates several computing environments in support of both core and extended campus service requirements. Core services (which include directory, mail, World Wide Web, News services, and FTP services) are offered in support of the entire campus population (students, faculty, and staff, both academic and administrative).
Summary Statement: Under direction of the CATS/System Group Manager, the incumbent will be an integral member of the deployment of the campus enterprise email system known as CruzMail. The incumbent will specifically be involved in operational support, architectural development, project communication and education processes associated with the CruzMail project.
Major Functional Areas and Description of Duties:
of Time Tasks
30% SYSTEMS ENGINEERING AND ADMINISTRATION
· Provide systems engineering and administrative support for the campus CruzMail email system.
· Resolve a variety of problems of moderate to difficult scope. Initiate and coordinate the escalation of other computing systems and applications problems to other support staff, others on campus or outside vendors.
· Direct other systems engineers/administrators as well as perform both routine and non-routine systems administration tasks for daily operations of moderately complex to complex production systems.
· Direct other systems engineers/administrators as well as perform the collection, analysis, and reporting of operation data for use in maintenance, performance tuning, and capacity planning for future enhancements/upgrades.
· Serve as an escalation point in the identification and correction of moderately complex to complex computing systems and applications problems, including interaction with other support staff, others on campus or outside vendors. Independently determine approaches and strategies.
30% PROJECT PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTATION
· Apply operating system/systems engineering expertise in the planning, analysis, design and implementation of the campus enterprise email system, CruzMail.
· Recommend modifications, including upgrades, additions or deletions to moderately complex or complex systems or services. Provide analysis and justification for recommendation, which may include operational data, feasibility, technological motivations, customer demand or need.
· Direct and/or perform systems administration tasks for project implementations, which may include multiple, simultaneous activities.
· Provide technical direction and leadership to lower level systems administrators/engineers through the planning and implementation processes
· Partner with other CATS or campus staff for the effective implementation of the CruzMail system.
30% DOCUMENTATION and OUTREACH
· Develop and implement technical documentation and operational procedures to support day-to-day operations and change management and growth for the Cruzmail email system.
· Contribute to and review user-related documentation on CATS services or support standards as developed by technical support staff for the CruzMail system.
· Participate in campus outreach programs such as orientations.
10% TRAINING and DEVELOPMENT
· Work with the campus Training and Development organization to develop material specific to the CruzMail project deployment.
· Functional knowledge of UNIX (Sun/Solaris required), perl, C or C++ programming, Java, Shell Script. Functional knowledge of standards-based (TCP/IP) applications (e.g. account management, directory and authentication services, SMTP, POP, HTTP,IMAP, SMTP_Auth).
· Experience in providing both end user and operational technical support within a Sun/Solaris production environment.
· Knowledge and experience in working with security and authentication methods and tools in a Sun/Solaris production environment.
· High level oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
· Ability to work concurrently on multiple tasks and projects
· Ability to write technical specifications, operational and end user documentation.
· Ability to work independently and communicate progress/problems to appropriate personnel effectively.
· Experience with the installation and system tuning for Oracle in a Sun/Solaris environment
· Experience with enterprise system rollouts in a university environment
· Experience with enterprise level email system deployment and support in a university environment
· Experience with Apache, Twiki, Microsoft Project, Visio and Microsoft Office suite
· Experience with Network Attached Storage, Network Applicance, BlueArc…
· Experience with Legato backup software
Special Notations or Conditions of Employment:
CERTIFICATE OF EMPLOYEE:
I certify that the foregoing information describes my job as I understand it.
CERTIFICATE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR AND DEPARTMENT HEAD:
I certify that the foregoing information describes the specified job as I understand it.
Department Head Signature/Date