How To Get On The Home Brew Bandwagon
Talk to me about beer!
Home Brewing Kit
Before you start the brewing process, make sure to collect everything you need beforehand:
Simple step by step guide to brewing:
- 10 lbs of grain
- 8 gals of water
- 5 gal kettle
- 5 gal carboy
- 4 oz of hops
- Metallic Spoon
- 15 gallon mash tun
- Brewers yeast
Brought to you by Tess E. Hernandez
- Sterilize all of your brewing utensils and equiptment.
- In the kettle boil 8 gals of water to approximately 110 degrees fahrenheit.
- Put the grains into the mash tun and then pour the boiling water from the kettle in as well. Let this mixture sit for 1 hr.
- Once complete remove the sugar water from the mash tun, leaving the grains behind. You can collect the sugar water in the kettle.
- Put the kettle, containing the sugar water, on a burner and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, add 2 oz of hops and allow this to boil for 45 mins. Stir often to prevent boil overs.
- Add an additional 1 oz of hops and wait for 10 minutes. Then add the last oz of hops and wait 5 mins.
- Remove from burner and set in ice bath until room temperature is reached.
- Once at room temperature, pour the wort (mixture) into a carboy.
- Add the brewers yeast, place bung into carboy opening, and seal with airlock.
- Place the carboy in a cold and dark environment for approximately 2 weeks.
- After 2 weeks theif (seperate) the beer out and leave the yeast cake at the bottom.
- Then keg or bottle the beer, following kit protocol.