Areas of Responsibility
Planning & Assessment
• oversee, coordinate and support diverse assessment efforts across the Library;
• plan, implement and manage Library signs and related wayfinding programs; Library staff site (login required)
Research, Outreach and Instruction
• reference and referral services
• subject guides and pathfinders
- Religious Studies
- Theater Arts
- Jewish Studies
• selector for:
- Applied Mathematics & Statistics
- Theater Arts
- Jewish Studies
Honours Programme, University Scholar
Bachelor of Arts, 1975
School of Library & Information Science
Master of Science, 1979
Planning & Assessment Librarian
Philosophy, Performing Arts & Jewish Studies
Mathematics, Applied Mathematics & Statistics
University of California, Santa Cruz, 2009-present
Assistant to the University Librarian (interim)
University of California, Santa Cruz, 2005-2009
Head, Computing & Network Services, University Library
University of California, Santa Cruz, 1992-2005
Reference Librarian/Microcomputer Specialist, University Library
University of California, Santa Cruz, 1987-1991
Senior User Services Librarian, Academic Information Services
University Library, University of Southern California, 1985-1987
Reference Assistant / Government Publications Cataloger, Natural Resources Library
University of California, Berkeley, 1983-1985
Media Assistant, AudioVisual Media Center, Moffitt Library
University of California, Berkeley, 1979-1983
Reference Librarian, Public Health Library, UC Berkeley, 1984
Reference Librarian, Berkeley Public Library, substitute, 1981-1985
Reference Librarian, Ridley Township (PA) Public Library, 1978-1979
Library Assistant, Information Center, Human Resources Network, Philadelphia, 1978
Reference Intern, Arts & Sciences Library, Rutgers University, Camden, 1977-1978
Books & Book Chapters
- All About Internet Mail. Internet Workshop Series, 7. Berkeley: Library Solutions, 1997.
- Introducing the Internet: PLUS: A Model Presentation For Trainers. 2nd updated edition. Internet Workshop Series, 1. Berkeley : Library Solutions Press, 1996.
[Spanish translation, Organization of American States, 1997]
- Introducing the Internet. Internet Workshop Series, 1. Berkeley: Library Solutions, 1994. [Czech, Bulgarian, Polish, Slovakian, Romanian, Hungarian, translations, 1995]
- "Phonograph Records" in Nonbook Media: Collection Management and User Services, John W. Ellison and Patricia Ann Coty, eds. Chicago, IL: ALA, 1987.
- "Standing Up for Open Source," with Greg Careaga, Journal of Library Philosophy & Practice, June 2007. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/127/
- "Old Wine In New Bottles: Formatting Documents with Editorial Notes," Journal of Electronic Publishing 5:3(March 2000). http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/05-03/jaffe.html
- "Exploring Dynamic Web Sites With Databases: the UC Santa Cruz Experience," Library Computing 19:1/2(2000), 35-41.
- "Rewiring the Working Library: Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks," with Robert White, Online 19:1(Jan.1995), 62-68.
- "The Information Revolution Is Over," Serials Review 20:4(1994), 7-10.
- "An Internet Primer," FaultLine (San Andreas SLA Chapter) 12:5(April 1992), 4+.
- "CD-ROM Hardware Configurations: Selection and Design," with Steven G. Watkins, CD-ROM Professional 5: 1(Jan. 1992), 62-68.
- "The Future of the Online Catalog: Who Decides?" Online, 15:1(Jan. 1991), 7-10.
- "Libraries Without Walls," Technicalities 10:9(Sept. 90), 5-7.
- "The Role of the Academic Library in Campus Microcomputer Services," Small Computers in Libraries, 6:1(June 1986), 27-29.
- "Training Plans at Berkeley," with Patricia Davison, C&RL News, 44:6(June 1983), 202-3.
- "The Last Days of the Avant Garde; or How to Tell Your Glass from Your Eno," Drexel Library Quarterly, 19:1(Win. 1983), 105-22.
- Encyclopedia Judaica, 2nd edition. Detroit : Macmillan Reference USA, 2007, contributor
- Library Resources on the Internet: Strategies for Selection and Use, RASD/MARS Direct Patron Access Committee, RASD Occasional Papers, Chicago: RASD, 1992. contributor
- Survey of Libraries Providing Locally Mounted Data Bases, RASD Occasional Papers, Chicago: RASD, 1991, contributor
- Report on Library-related Microcomputer Use, University of California, Berkeley, University Libraries, December 21, 1984. (ERIC Clearinghouse; ED255213), contributor
- CARL Newsletter, editor, volumes 12-14 (1989-91).
- Guidelines for Audiovisual Services in Academic Libraries, editor, ACRL Audiovisual Committee