Collegiate Dancer Problems
After being a student and on a competitive collegiate hip hop team for three years,
I can definitely point out some of hardest struggles of trying to balance your dance and school life.
Trying to plan your class schedule around your practice schedule.
- You know you'll never make those 8ams because you are up practicing until midnight.
When you come back home after midnight and your roommates are already asleep.
- The worst part is when you accidently knock over something because it's pitch dark and both your roommates wake up pissed.
When midterms/projects/finals all end up near competition season.
- Cue the tears and energy drinks...sorry, but you're not going to get any sleep.
- You'll try to bring your homework and study guides to practice, but you'll end up not doing any of it.
Your dance clothes take over your wardrobe.
- Your wardrobe will consist of 50 million tshirts you got from your competitions, costumes you had to wear for competition, and workout clothes.
- Your practice clothes and the clothes you wear to class will be one and the same.
The parking lot with be your worst enemy and not just because you can't find parking.
- Dance studios are not always available, so the next best thing is Kresege Parking Lot.
- Don't get me started on how cold it can get at night.
- The worst part about dancing in a parking garage is when you need to practice a dance with floor work. Say goodbye to your knees!
- There's competition fees.
- There's costume fees.
- There's workshop fees.
- There's the late night munchies fees. Yes! Those are a necessity.
No matter how hard balancing school and dance may be, you do it anyways because you love it.
It's hard work, but it isn't impossible! The love you have for your team makes it all worth the effort.
This is where I'm going to insert a shameless plug for my team. Sorry, not sorry.
We host a dance showcase every year called EnRoute where we invite teams from all over California to perform in the Santa Cruz area.
For more information, follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Here's a lineup of the most recent year's showcase. Please note that the flyer is old, and this year's event will be on April 14th, 2018.
Check out our website for more information on my team haluan.org
Have any questions? You can email me at email@example.com
Don't forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram!
Facebook: Haluan Hip-Hop Dance Troupe