Assistant Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UC Santa Cruz
E-mail: cjosephson at ucsc dot edu
I am an Assistant Professor in the ECE department at UC Santa Cruz. My research interests include wireless sensing and communications systems, with a focus on technology that furthers sustainable practices. My work includes designing novel sensing paradigms for agriculture, inventing techniques for ultra-low power communication in indoor sensor networks, and exploiting non-traditional energy sources, such as microbes, for sustainable sensing. I received my PhD from Stanford University in 2020, where I was advised by Sachin Katti and Keith Winstein. I received my MEng and SB degrees from MIT, where I worked with Muriel Médard. I am also a research scientist at VMware.
My CV is available here.
- Google Scholar Profile
- The Sky is not the limit: Untapped opportunities for Green Computing, C. Josephson; N. Peill-Moelter, Z. Pan, B. Pfaff, V. Firoiu. HotCarbon 2022 Workshop.
- Early Characterization of Soil Microbial Fuel Cells, G. Marcano, C. Josephson, P. Pannuto. IEEE 2022 ISCAS.
- Low-cost In-ground Soil Moisture Sensing with Radar Backscatter Tags, C. Josephson, M. Kotaru, K. Winstein, R. Chandra, S. Katti. ACM COMPASS 2021
- Farming Electrons: Galvanic vs. Microbial Energy in Soil Batteries, C. Josephson, N. Jackson, P. Panutto. IEEE Sensors Letters, Dec. 2020
- Time-of-Flight Soil Moisture Estimation Using RF Backscatter, C. Josephson, B. Barnhart, S. Katti, K. Winstein, R. Chandra. IGARSS 2020
- RF Soil Moisture Sensing via Radar Backscatter Tags, C. Josephson, B. Barnhart, S. Katti, K. Winstein, R. Chandra. ArXiv, IPSN '20 (demo)
- BackCam: Wireless computer vision using commodity radios, C. Josephson, L. Yang, P. Zhang, S. Katti. IPSN 2019
- FreeRider: Backscatter Communication Using Commodity Radios, P. Zhang, C. Josephson, D. Bharadia, S. Katti. CoNEXT 2017