The image below shows the different buttons in NetDraw and what they do (Click to make it bigger)
Version 2.148 also includes zoom in and zoom out (Z buttons)
In NetDraw, items are referred to as "nodes" and the relations between them as "ties"
To make a more coherent arrangement
- click the lightning bolt or G
- click the gray box with the blue arrows (resize to fit window)
- try circle layout ordered by attribute or optimization (in the Layout menu)
- try spring embedding, which will attempt to minimize the distance between closely connected nodes and maximize the distance between unconnected nodes
- reduce clutter by hiding isolates and pendants (see below)
To hide isolates (items with no relations)
To hide pendants (items with just one relation)
- click the Pen button
- NOTE: this will kill (delete) the nodes instead of just hiding them. To restore them you need to follow the instructions below
To show hidden or deleted nodes
- click the ~Node button (Delete/Restore Nodes)
- select "Inactive nodes" under "Which Nodes to Work on" and "active" under "Change Status to"
- Go to the menu again and select "Dead nodes" to change to "active"
You can add additional variables for your data by going to Transform | Node.