The Art of Long Distance Relationships
My name is Cintia Chavez (right) and this is my boyfriend Leonardo (left).
Leonardo and I have been dating for six years now. He lives and studies in Brazil, and I live and study in California. At first, many people were skeptical about our relationship. Many people would often tell me "Cintia, your relationship will not work out because you two live too far away from each other". I strongly believe that if you and your partner truly love each other, you will make it work no matter what the circumstances are. As for now, Leonardo and I are in a happy relationship which we hope to maintain for a very long time.
People are always surprised to hear when I tell them that Leonardo and I have been in a relationship for SIX years. The questions always comes up "HOW DO YOU TWO DO IT?!". To be honest, there is no simple or right answer to this question. Like I mentioned before, it takes lots of effort from both ends, however here are some tips that can help you build and maintain a long distance relationship:
Building and Maintaining that Long Distance Relationship:
- Communication is key! Try talking to your partner on a regular basis
- Be faithful to your partner
- Send each other letters (I find that way more romantic than a text message or an e-mail)
- Try to see each other within reasonable periods of time
- Be honest about your feelings. Many times we cheat ourselves thinking we are happy when we really aren't
Some Facts about Leonardo and I:
- We met on December 22, 2008
- We love to travel around the world
- Our favorite TV show is The Office
- Leonardo loves to go shopping, but me on the other hand, I hate it!
- Leonardo was born in Brazil and I was born in Mexico
Places We Have Travled To:
- Orlando, Florida
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Buzios, Brazil
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Queretaro, Mexico
- Northern and Southern California
Only you can be the one to determine whether or not a long distance relationship is for you. You will constantly hear stories of both the good, the bad, the benefits and the disadvantages about a relationship. Buzzfeed has a great video that talks about both the good and the bad that can come out of a long distance relationship.
Please feel free to contact me if you would like some more advice about long distance relationships.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.