There ARE Banana Slugs At UCSC
Unseen or Unsearched? The UCSC Banana Slug
You Aren't A Student At UCSC If You Haven't Seen One!
Take for example this slug with garnish :
- You can find tips to spotting them here.
- Or you could walk 3 feet into the nearest forest area after a rain shower and you will find one instantly.
- Or you could stare at a crack in the sidewalk and it will appear.
- You can even find them lounging on a fungus outcropping while you cross a precarious log bridge.
- There are three types of banana slugs:
You are most likely to find the California Banana Slug and the Slender Banana Slug on UCSC campus but all are technically native to California so maybe you will find a pacific Banana Slug.
- Ariolimax columbianus, the California Banana Slug, light yellow;
- Ariolimax californicus, the Pacific Banana Slug, olive green with black spots;
- and Ariolimax dolichophallus, the Slender Banana Slug, light yellow and shorter than the California Banana Slug.
If you want to talk about my unreasonable obsession with banana slugs, contact me at my email.
On another note, here's a video of how to identify a banana slug.