- Everest is 29,035 feet or 8848 meters high.
- It is over 60 million years old
- Everest grows by about a quarter of an inch (0.25") every year
- The wind near the summit can blow over 200 mph
- Number of people to successfully climb Mt. Everest: 660
- Number of people who have died trying to climb Mt. Everest: 142 :(
- Source: Scholastic's Teacher Active Study Guide
- Source: Everest Facts for Kids
Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first two people to successfully climb Mt. Everest. Clicking on the picture to your left
will bring you to a National Geographic documentery about these two amazing men.
Facts about these climbers:
- Sir Edmund was 6 feet 5 inches tall.
- Edmund became interested in climbing when he was 16 years old and climbed his first major mountain when he was 20.
- Tenzing was a member of the Sherpa Tribe.
- Tenzing's parents wanted him to be a monk. This is the reason why he ran away from home.